Garmaine Staff asked 2 years ago
This question already has an answer here:”>Can I visit other Schengen countries on a long-term Schengen visa or residency permit? (1 answer)
Closed last month.

I have a long-term German National D Visa for research.

I have an upcoming short trip outside Germany to the Schengen Zone but I don't have a residence permit yet. I've been informed that I should get the residence permit before travelling abroad but that is contrary to what I've been reading online i.e. the D visa can be used for short-term stays in European countries outside Germany.

Does anyone have experience regarding this issue or can tell if I am allowed to travel outside Germany?